First Contribution of Hacktoberfest

For the first week of Hacktoberfest, I contributed to Matrix-Appservice-Discord, a service that connects Discord to Matrix, an application that allows you to message people over multiple different messengers in one place.

The Issue

As I wanted to focus more on familiarizing myself with the process of contributing on Git, I chose a simple issue; fixing a spelling error. The issue involved correcting the misspelling 'insufficiant' to 'insufficient'.

The Fix

After forking the repo, I cloned the develop branch of the project and began my work. While Matrix-Appservice-Discord was written in TypeScript, I didn't need to use it for the purposes of this fix. I simply searched for instances of 'insufficiant' and changed them to 'insufficient'.


The two instances of 'insufficiant'


Creating the Pull Request

Once I finished the fix, I created a new branch on the forked repo, spelling-error-insufficiant, and pushed my changes to there. I then created a pull request to merge my branch with the develop branch on the original repo, stating which error I fixed in the commit message. I noticed that my pull request failed the automatic code tests, but it turned out that it wasn't and issue with the code. Afterwards, my pull request was accepted by a maintainer and merged into the original repo.

Issues and Lessons Learned

On my initial clone, I cloned the master branch of the repo, and tried to merge into develop. I noticed that there were conflicts because of differences in the master and develop branch. Eventually I figured out you can specify a branch when cloning. Once I solved the conflicts, I noticed that my code failed the automatic checks run by Github, despite only having changed 2 lines of code. After asking the maintainers I was informed that the issues were on the original code, and weren't caused by my changes. Finally, while creating the pull request, I learned that you can reference specific issues in the commit message,and Github will automatically connect the pull request with the issue.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

External Pull Request and Creating a Spam Checker for Telescope

Second Contribution of Hacktoberfest

Adding 'Favorite' System to Pokemon Showdown: External Pull Request and Final Week of OSD600